400 hp Street 5.2 Magnum Build List - Page 5 - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Dakota Mods - Dodge Dakota Performance > Internal Engine Mods

Notices

Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge dakota sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: red
Engine: 1991-1993 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
Rep:10
5speed5.2 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I haven't checked back in for awhile guys. First of all when I said I wanted to make around 350-400 rwhp I'm not expecting "increased" gas mileage as someone said I just need a build that is gonna get gas mileage that is "acceptable enough" to be able to use as a daily driver and not just a race/weekend truck. Really it would be nice to still be able to get 10-15 mpg. I know some are gonna say that's impossible but I'm thinking if I went with a 390 stroker kit($2,400 for the good one plus machine work), a set of eq ported and polished heads($1,500), and something like a turbo set up which would actually help improve efficiency and power(around $3,000 +/-) that it would be easily achievable. I would also probably throw on an aftermarket intake, small/efficient cam, and 1:7 roller rockers. Someone was also assuming I have an automatic transmission but i actually have a manual nv3500. The only thing holding me back is being able to come up with a huge amount of money, but I could probably just make payments every month as someone mentioned. When I said 400 rwhp I was just stating an estimate but what I really want is big seat of the pants horsepower. I just want a daily driver that will still whoop some newer stock muscle cars butt, yes I understand this is hard to do. From what I have read my 96 club cab truck weights around 4,000 lbs. Isn't that around the same weight or just a little more than these newer muscle cars ?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:48 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge dakota sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: red
Engine: 1991-1993 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
Rep:10
5speed5.2 is on a distinguished road

One of my first mods I have been considering is a nitrous kit. Yes, I know it can kill a motor in no time if you decide to be stupid and run an unacceptable amount of nitrous on a stock motor. I have heard people say that you can run a 150 shot on a completely stock motor all day long if it's tuned good without compromising engine life. I would probably only run a 100 hp shot tops just to be safe. This would put it in the 330 hp range which is decent in a 4000 lb truck. The nitrous kit might be a good upgrade for only $750 plus bottle heater as long as I don't be stupid and put on too big of a shot.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Color: Black
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

A 100hp shot is about max on a stock engine. If you want more, you need to open up the ring gap to prevent the heat from expanding the rings, binding them up and blowing the top of the pistons off. The NV3500 might be a bit undersized for the HP you're considering. Be easy on dumping the clutch if you can avoid it and the transmission will live a bit longer

Ed