shock absorber reccommendations? - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 2ND Generation Dodge Dakota: 1997 - 2004 > Suspension

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota RT
Trim Level: unsure
Color: Blue
Engine: 1998-2003 - 5.9 L (360 cu in) Magnum V8, 250 hp (190 kW)
Rep:10
immattj is on a distinguished road
Default shock absorber reccommendations?

I have a pretty clean '03 RT with a healthy 5.9 (66k now) that I got a great deal on 3 years ago. I am doing little things as I go to make it a nicer truck, & I am seriously considering upgrading the shocks. This is RWD & not for off road, & it probably won't do any "serious work". My goal is to smooth the ride out if I can. Is this possible with a Dakota? Or is the nature of the beast to ride rough? I may be spoiled, as one of my other trucks is an '02 GMC 1/2 ton that rides like a Caddy. AQre there any recommendations for shocks that would give me a softer ride?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1991 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Base
Color: Red
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:20
CaffeineTripp is on a distinguished road

Softer rides for pickups are pretty hard to come by. The GMC is larger than the Dakota which contributes to the soft ride, longer, wider wheel base gives more of a floating sensation. Air ride suspension on the Dakota would help, but it's quite expensive. Just replacing the shocks with oil filled, and replacing any rubber bushings, lowering the tire pressure as well will all contribute to a softer ride, but it's not going to be as soft as the GMC given the Dakota's length.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota RT
Trim Level: unsure
Color: Blue
Engine: 1998-2003 - 5.9 L (360 cu in) Magnum V8, 250 hp (190 kW)
Rep:10
immattj is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, Caffeine.
That's kind of what I was thinking; that the nature of the beast (small truck) might be a bumpy ride.
The person I bought this from had put tires that (I was told) are lower profile than stock, & I was told that putting the right height tires on may soften things up a bit. The tires are getting close to iffy (as far as inspection goes), so I am going to be going that route pretty quick.
In the mean time, I did go ahead & order Monroe Spectrum shocks to go all the way around. I have discovered that a lot of stuff on that Dodge seem to have worn out or become inop earlier than they should have (in my opinion) for a truck that only has 66k. But that's okay, I got it for a song & it is super clean & it is a blast to drive with that 5.9, so I guess I don't mind too much.

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Trim Level: SE
Color: Mostly Blue
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:32
RalphP is on a distinguished road

Remember that the 2003 is 15 model years old; parts are failing due to age.

And I remember shocks every 10,000 miles ... so 66K isn't bad IMO.

(Mine are going out at about 55,000 miles of highway miles in Lousiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas; LA and OK are the ones that really eat it up.)

RwP